Drug & Alcohol Rehab in Brentwood
If anyone from Inverness-shire is considering entering any type of detox clinics, they will need to be aware of how important their own attitude is going to be. If the person is negative and closed-minded, they are really going to struggle to get much out of their time in this facility.
In order to increase their chances of success, they will need to treat this as a chance to learn and grow. The individual has to take responsibility for their own recovery and feel determined to make the most of their time in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinic.
How to Get the Most Out of Rehab
Some individuals only seem to get one shot at rehab so it is vital that the individual puts in their best possible effort. If this attempt at recovery fails then the individual will be back in the midst of addiction, and there is no guarantee that they will ever summon up the motivation to quit again. It is therefore important that the individual does all they can to get the most out of the experience.
There is no rehab in the world (or indeed any type of addiction treatment) that can guarantee the person’s success. This is because unless they are motivated to learn it will not be possible to teach the person the skills they need to learn to stay sober. As the old saying goes, you can bring a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
All a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre can do is provide the individual with the resources they need, and it will then be up to that person to make the most out of these resources. Of course, the professionals working there and other clients can offer support and encouragement, but the individual needs to take charge of their own recovery.
When people from Inverness-shire enter rehab the best attitude they can take is beginner’s mind. This means that they will not allow their own ideas and opinions to get in the way of them learning new things. The reality is that much of the ideas that people will have at this stage will be as a result of their addiction, and this means that such ideas are likely to be wrong. By having a beginner’s mind the person will be approaching rehab with a clean slate so they will be willing to pick up new ideas and ways of doing things.
It is also vital that the individual is 100 % committed to their new life in recovery. This is because any reservations they might have can be a seed for later relapse. Those individuals who are ambivalent about their recovery are not likely to succeed. These individuals will secretly wonder (or sometimes not secretly) if they will be able to drink or use drugs again in the future. As soon as things start going bad for them in recovery, they can then use this as a justification to test out their theory.
How to Get the Most Out of Recovery
The aim of recovery is not just to end alcohol or drug abuse – the real goal is happiness. The most amazing thing is the thing that the individual will have been looking for when they turned to alcohol or drugs will be available to them in sobriety. Substance abuse will never lead to inner peace and contentment but sobriety will definitely do that. Of course, just because the individual has given up alcohol or drugs does not automatically mean that they are going to have a good life going forward. In order to get the most out of recovery, they will actually have to do some work.
Here are a few suggestions for what the person will need to do:
- In order to get the most out of recovery, the individual will need to keep an open mind. Those individuals who fall into addiction can become very dogmatic, and they can pick up many unhelpful beliefs and opinions as a result of their addiction. The individual needs to be willing to let go of anything that is going to hold them back in sobriety and for this to happen an open mind is a must
- The individual needs to be willing to try new things. It can often be those activities that the person is most unsure about that can be the most rewarding. Many people who fell into substance abuse will have done so before they had the opportunity to discover their talents in life. It will only be by trying new things that the person will be able to discover these hidden talents and desires
- In order for people to become happy they need a sense of meaning and purpose in their life. This meaning and purpose will have come from alcohol or drugs when the individual was caught in addiction, so when the person becomes sober they can be left with a vacuum. This purpose can be found in a career, religious beliefs, spiritual beliefs, or anything that gives life meaning
- It is important that the individual keeps a positive outlook on life. If the individual treats like in recovery like a prison sentence then this will be what they experience
- In order to build strong sobriety the individual needs to develop appropriate coping mechanisms. This takes many years but eventually, the individual will have enough coping tools in their arsenal that they feel able to cope with anything
- Helping other people can be another great way to strengthen recovery and find happiness. In Alcoholics Anonymous they often say that you have to give it away in order to keep it
- Some people are going to find that the 12 Step fellowships are useful in helping them get the most out of recovery. These groups not only support the individual to stay sober, but they also provide the person with a program for living
How can I find out more?
To speak to an advisor at ADT Healthcare, contact us today on 0800 088 66 86. At ADT Healthcare, we advise on addiction rehabilitation clinics in Brentwood and across the region. We will be able to offer treatment options that are local to you.